Our mission is to provide a platform for all residents in Towns County to address issues and problems of mutual interest which affect the management, planning and development of the county and its environs.Towns County Civic Association Board
There is one General Membership Meeting in June each year.
The Board of Directors of the Towns County Civic Association meets on the second Wednesday of each month at 2 p.m. Members and the public are welcome
The 2023 General Membership Meeting was held on Thursdady, June 29, 6:00 p.m., at the Towns County Senior Center. The evening started with a potluck dinner for which meat, sandwiches, fruit trays and drinks were provided by the Board. Next up was a short business meeting that included the President's welcome by John Clemens, the Treasurer's report by Larry Dietsch and a membership report by Anna Denton.
The main topic for the meeting was an overview of the Georgia Department of Transportation's (GDOT) plans to improve traffic on US 76 between Blairsville and Hiawassee. The project will include widening the highway to four lanes and a bypass around Young Harris. Traffic disruptions, timeline(s) and ramifications of the highway project were addressed by the GDOT team that attended the meeting.
GDOT guest speakers include the following:
• Oluchukwu Anyaebosi, District 1 Assistant Project Manager
• Sueanne H Decker, District Preconstruction Engineer
As always, members of the public were welcomed to attend whether members or not.
Special Events Hosted by TCCA in 2021-2022 Fiscal Year
- Public Forum on Drug Abuse focused upon preventing drug abuse in local youth, October 11, 2021, Towns County Recreation & Conference Ctr, Foster Park
- Non-partisan Candidate Forum in advance of the 2022 Georgia Primary Election, April 23, 2022, Ann Mitchell Auditorium at Towns County High School
Donations for 2021-22 fiscal year
- Enotah CASA
- Towns County Food Pantry
- Mountain True/HRWC
- TC High School Scholarship
Board of Directors
- President - John Clemens
- Vice President - TBD
- Secretary - Joan Crothers
- Treasurer - Larry Dietsch
- Director - David Best
- Director - Michael Courey
- Director - Anna Denton
- Director - Jim Olson
Some TCCA issues
CITY OF HIAWASSEE
Towns County Civic Association board members regularly attend City of Hiawassee meetings. Issues include sidewalks, street crossings, permits, and a mayor’s park.
Several recent requested improvements include sidewalk repairs in front of the hospital; a lighted crosswalk sign for the Post Office, and personnel salary justifications.
City of Young Harris
TCCA board members attend City of Young Harris meetings to remain abreast of issues that concern both city and county residents.
Young Harris College, a centerpiece of the city, is a baccalaureate and master's degree granting, private institution that brings nearly 1,400 student residents to Towns County annually.
TCCA board members attend monthly meetings of the Towns County Water and Sewer Authority, urging improvement of infrastructure and organization for better delivery of water to neighborhoods. Optimum standards would decrease insurance premiums paid by homeowners and allow firefighters to save structures.
TOWNS COUNTY SIGN ORDINANCE
Thoughts concerning the relevance of preserving the County as the environment which many came to live here for.
There are a significant number of County residents that have relocated here to get away from the highly populated areas that contain many facets of the big city life. The sight of a mountain community free of major traffic, a high crime rate, large shopping malls, traffic lights at each road crossing, noise, and yes, the visual pollution of excessive advertising road and billboard signs. Towns County has now taken steps to better control the spread of large signs, particularly of off-premises billboards, via the county sign ordinance.
TCCA WORKS TO KEEP COUNTY TRASH-FREE
Operation Clean Sweep is a project we support year after year. The transfer station requires that trucks cover their load and could issue a fine up to $1000 for noncompliance.
Become a member of the Towns County Civic Association by clicking on the Membership Form link, then printing and mailing the form to our PO Box. Your participation in our work on behalf of the local community would be greatly appreciated.
- Concerts on the Square @ Town Square, Hiawassee, Featuring Dr. Paul, Saturday, August 12, 6:30p - 8:00p
- Young Frandkenstein @ Peacock Performing Arts Ctr, 301 Church St., Hayesville, August 11-20, 7:30p Fri - Sat; 2:30p Sun
- Georgia Mountain Fair @ Mountain Fairgrounds, Hiawassee, Fri, August 18 - Sun,August 26
- Brotherly Love Tour @ Anderson Music Hall, Mountain Fairgrounds, Hiawassee, Brothers John Michael Montgomery and Eddie Montgomery, Saturda, August 19, 7p
YOU STAY INFORMED WHEN YOU ATTEND COMMUNITY MEETINGS.
Some are listed below. Other community meetings are posted weekly in the TC Herald.
- City of Hiawassee Work Sessions - 6 PM Monday, one week prior to City Council meeings at Hiawassee City Hall Council Chamber.
- City of Hiawassee Council Meetings - 6 PM, first Tuesday of each month at Hiawassee City Hall Council Chamber.
- Young Harris City Council Meetings - 7 PM, first Tuesday at City Hall
- TC Commissioners Meeting -5:30 PM as needed: Third Tuesday at TC Courthouse.
- TC Planning Commission Meeting - 7 PM, third Monday as needed at Civic Center
- Board of Education - 7 pm, first Monday except April and July, at Civic Center
- TC Water and Sewerage Authority Meeting - 6 PM, third Tuesday, 1224 Jack Dayton Circle, Young Harris
- TCCA Board Meetings - 2 PM, second Wednesday of each month.
- CVB Convention Visitors Board Meetings, second Tuesdays
- TC Health Dept Meetings - 9:30 quarterly, fourth Thursdays
WE SUPPORT THE COUNTY
TCCA board members attend and report on local meetings: Towns County Commissioner, Cities of Young Harris and Hiawassee, TC Chamber of Commerce, TC Water Authority, and BRMEMC board meetings.
WE HAVE DONATED FUNDS TO NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONS
Hiwassee River Watershed Coalition, Towns County Food Pantry, TC High School Scholarships, Sheriff's Office, Hamilton Gardens at Lake Chatuge, Enotah CASA.
TCCA board members take the lead in many efforts such as Clean Sweep Week, Hamilton Gardens maintenance and benefit galas, election candidate forums, and county economic improvements.
WE SPREAD THE WORD
Towns County Civic Association keeps the public informed through newspaper articles, letters, our website, and membership dinner meetings twice a year.