October 10, 2019
President Michael Courey opened meeting at 3 p.m.
Present: Herb Bruce, John Clemens, Michael Courey, Joan Crothers, Larry Dietsch, Jan Kowalsky, LaJean Turner,
Minutes: Motion to approve the September 12, 2019 minutes was made by Larry Dietsch; seconded & passed.
Treasurer’s Report: Jan reported a balance of $3,920.47. Herb Bruce made the motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report; seconded and passed. Donation remaining is student grant in April 2020 for $100.
Membership: LaJean sent out the current membership list. In order to visualize the status categories as indicated by color, additional characters will be added enabling B/W prints to indicate the status categories. The Mail Chimp service for internet communication was discussed, but no action taken.
- County Ordinances reviewed: Herb passed out a copy of the County’s Noise Ordinance. This was done during the term of Commissioner Kendall in response to complaints of noise at the Sand Bar. Not sure if there is an actual enforceable noise ordinance in place. Herb will check other cities’/counties’ noise ordinances. Sign Ordinance enforcement will be discussed with the County Planning Board.
- Business Showcase on 9/19/2019: TCCA had candy on table and a raffle for a potted mum. LaJean hopes to hear from those who signed up for membership. There were fewer vendors & people in attendance.
- Website development: Improvements have been made by Jan, John, and Barbara.
- Pickle Ball: Fall Classic was October 4-5-6, 2019 with 300-350 from 14 different states. 21 sponsors.
- Sea Plane: No one had heard anything more than The Ridges may not be renting the seaplane dock space next year.
- Downtown Development Authority (DDA): Herb is a Board member;they have applied to state to be a acknowledged and designated County authority for the purpose of property(s) purchases. Their status relative to their authority structure is not yet specified.
- January 2020 General Membership meeting. Covered dish meeting will be on 1/23/2020 at 6 p.m. at the Civic Center. CVB, Chamber, Hamilton Gardens & Census Bureau (Pat Malone) as speakers.
City of Hiawassee: LaJean: Anne Mitchell was Mayor Pro Tem in Liz’s absence; Public hearing on adoption of millage was on 9/23/2019, set to 2.095. First reading of Building Inspector, Randy Day. Lions Club shredded 7K lbs. of materials from the public at their shredding event.
City of Young Harris: Sidewalk project on Main St. is finished at cost of $250K, Water and sewer services issues discussed. They are now a Firewise recognized City.
Commissioner: County saving $20-25K on renegotiated deal w/Suburban Propane, 60K gallons used annually; no commissioner’s meeting in Nov.; speaking guests were from Developmental Disabilties.
BRMEMC: Michael attended the annual meeting held at EMC office. Not more than 100 attended. The meeting was properly planned and professionally conducted under shelter. This enabled a significant savings to the membership.
CVB: Ridges have paid some on their lapsed account. Amount remaining due is unknown as they have not complied with County law in providing sales information. Little to nothing done about their non compliance.
Chamber: LaJean- Brew, Stew & Q 10/26/19; Vets Fishing Tournament 11/2/19; lake very low from TVA release.
Health Dept: Next meeting 10/24/19 at 9:30 a.m.
TCW&S Auth.; Planning Commission: No reports.
Other Business: Since LaJean is Membership Chair AND Vice Chair, she would like someone else to finish her term as Vice Chair. Herb Bruce was nominated from the floor and accepted. Larry Dietsch made a motion to have Herb Bruce finish LaJean’s term which expires 6/30/2020; seconded and passed.