“We try to address tough issues in a kind and sensitive way, acknowledging many issues are not simple, and all choices have consequences.” Bill Blumreich, Founding President, Towns County Homeowners Assoc.
Some of our projects
CITY OF HIAWASSEE
Towns County Civic Association b oard members regularly attend City of Hiawassee meetings. Issues include sidewalks, street crossings, permits, and a mayor’s park.
Several recent requested improvements include sidewalk repairs in front of the hospital; a lighted crosswalk sign for the Post Office, and personnel salary justifications.
TCCA has been instrumental in rescuing and improving this gem of the county: Hamilton Gardens of Lake Chatuge now a non-profit organization.
We have organized benefit celebrations to raise funds for the gardens.
TCCA board members attend monthly meetings of the Towns County Water and Sewer Authority, urging improvement of infrastructure and organization for better delivery of water to neighborhoods. Optimum standards would decrease insurance premiums paid by homeowners and allow firefighters to save structures.
- April 7 - Everyday Heroes Run to help Enotah CASA.
- April 14 - Weekend plant sales start at Hamilton Gardens and...
- April 20 - deadline for art contest: As Our Garden Grows
- April 16-20 - Clean Sweep Week At the recent TCCA meeting, trash on our roads was a hot topic and many concerns expressed about the never-ending litter on Hwy 288 from uncovered pickup trucks spilling trash. Volunteer to be an active participant in improving the environment and making a difference. For more information contact JC Berrong @ 706 781-8366.
- June 1-3 N. Georgia Highlands Seafood Festival, Young Harris
- Sept 20-23 Bassmaster Angler of the Year tournament
YOU STAY INFORMED WHEN YOU ATTEND COMMUNITY MEETINGS.
Some are listed below. Other community meetings are posted weekly in the TC Herald.
- City of Hiawassee Work Sessions – 6 PM Monday one week prior to City Council meeings at Hiawassee City Hall Council Chambers.
- City of Hiawassee Council Meetings – 6 PM First Tuesday of each month at Hiawassee City Hall Council Chambers.
- Young Harris City Council Meetings – 7 PM First Tuesday of each month at Young Harris City Hall
- TC Commissioners Meeting -5:30 PM as needed: Third Tuesday of the month at TC Courthouse.
- TC Planning Commission Meeting – 7 PM as needed at Civic Center
- TC Water and Sewerage Authority Meeting – 6 PM Third Monday of each month at 1224 Jack Dayton Circle, Young Harris
- TCHA Board Meetings – 4 PM Third Friday of each month.
WE SUPPORT THE COUNTY
TCCA board members attend and report on local meetings: Towns County Commissioner, Cities of Young Harris and Hiawassee, TC Chamber of Commerce, TC Water Authority, and BRMEMC board meetings.
WE SUPPORT NON PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS
Hiwassee River Watershed Coalition, Towns County Food Pantry, TC High School Scholarships, Sheriff’s Office, Hamilton Gardens at Lake Chatuge, Enotah CASA.
TCCA board members take the lead in many efforts such as Clean Sweep Week, Hamilton Gardens maintenance and benefit galas, election candidate forums, and county economic improvements.
WE SPREAD THE WORD
Towns County Civic Association keeps the public informed through newspaper articles, letters, our website, and membership dinner meetings twice a year.
Frequently Asked Questions
Membership is open to anyone who maintains a residence in the area.
The dues are $25 per year. The fiscal year begins July 1.
Membership is still available.
There is a general meeting twice a year – one in January and one in June. The board of directors meets monthly.
Towns County Civic Association has a broader perspective looking at ways to improve the county as a whole. A member of your group might join TCCA as a liaison between groups.